Litera Secures Further Investment From Hg
- Litera is the leading provider of workflow, collaboration and data management solutions for law firms and legal teams globally
- Litera empowers legal teams with simplified technology for creating and managing all their documents, deals, cases and data
- Litera has seen significant growth since Hg first invested in 2019, having made 12 acquisitions to broaden its product and geographic coverage and approaching more than 1,000 employees across 17 different countries
- The Company was founded in 1995 and is headquartered in Chicago, IL
- Hg is a leading investor in software and services, focused on backing businesses that change how we all do business
- Hg’s deep technology expertise, complemented by vertical application specialization and dedicated operational support, provides a compelling proposition to management teams looking to scale their businesses
- Hg has over $40 billion in funds under management, with an investment team of over 140 professionals, plus a portfolio team of more than 40 operators, providing practical support to help their businesses realize their growth ambitions
- Based in London, Munich and New York, Hg has a portfolio of over 35 software and technology businesses, worth around $78 billion aggregate enterprise value, with over 55,000 employees globally
The last two years have seen Litera treble in size, serving many thousands of customers with more solutions and in more geographies. The velocity and complexity of this expansion has been made possible by an incredible team at Litera combined with a fantastic relationship with Hg, whose knowledge and impressive network in legal tech has presented numerous opportunities for the business. We are delighted that Hg is committing further investment into the business to provide Litera with even more firepower to enable us to continue this trajectory for many years to come.
Litera has grown significantly since we first backed the business in 2019, but we are just getting started. There is still enormous opportunity to support further productivity improvement in law firms with modern software. Litera’s position as the ‘Vendor of Choice’ for law firm CIOs, their highly talented team and well-invested products means that the business is an ideal platform to continue to support this theme for many years to come. At Hg we value long-term relationships where we can build true, scaled platforms that are champions in their sectors. We see this potential in Litera and we are excited for the future.
- Hg’s investment in Litera was announced on November 5, 2021; financial terms were not disclosed
- Shea & Company served as the exclusive financial advisor to Hg